Last updated 06/06/24

UK dividend tax rates and thresholds for 2024/25

UK dividend tax rates and thresholds for 2024/25
Basic rate
On earnings from £12,571 to £50,270.
Higher rate
On earnings from £50,271 to £125,140.
Additional rate
On earnings over £125,140.

The table above shows 2024/25 dividend tax rates for each band if you have a standard Personal Allowance of £12,570.

Dividends: what you need to know

A dividend is a sum of money that a limited company pays out to someone who owns shares in the company, i.e. a shareholder. You can find out more about dividends on our accounting glossary.

The Dividend Allowance

The Dividend Allowance is the amount of income from dividends that an individual can earn before tax is incurred. For the 2024/25 tax year, the Dividend Allowance is £500. You can find more information about the Dividend Allowance on the government's website.

Example: how to calculate tax on dividends

A company director receives a non-dividend income of £7,670 and a dividend income of £14,000 from shares. To work out how much they have to pay tax on, they must first deduct their Personal Allowance from their non-dividend income:

£7,670 - £12,570 = £0.00 to pay in tax with £4,900 of their Personal Allowance left over.

They can then deduct the remainder of their Personal Allowance from their dividend income:

£14,000 - £4,900 = £9,100

They now deduct their Dividend Allowance:

£9,100 - £500 = £8,600 total taxable income from dividends.

Since their earnings are within the basic rate threshold, they will pay:

£8,600 x 8.75% = £752.50 tax on dividends

How to pay tax on dividends

Note: If you usually send a Self Assessment tax return you must declare any income from dividends in the ‘Dividends’ section of your tax return.

If you don’t fill out a tax return you can call the HMRC helpline to arrange an alternative method of payment. The total amount of Income Tax due, including tax on dividends, following completion of your return can be paid in the following ways:

Online or telephone banking (Faster Payments) Same or next day
CHAPS Same or next day
Bacs Three working days
Debit card Same or next day
Credit card (1.5% charge) Same or next day
Cheque through the post Three working days
Existing Direct Debit Three working days
New Direct Debit Five working days
PAYE tax code N/A
At the Post Office Same or next day
At your bank or building society Same or next day

Online or telephone banking: If you’re paying by online or telephone banking (Faster Payments, CHAPS or Bacs), you can find details for the HMRC bank account you should pay your tax bill into on the government's website.

Debit or credit card: If you’re paying by debit or credit card you can do so by following the links from your HMRC online account.

Direct Debit: You can set up a Direct Debit from your HMRC online account. The first time you set up a Direct Debit for Self Assessment allow at least five working days before you submit your return to ensure the payment is taken from your account in time. Thereafter allow for at least three working days. Note that you have to set up a new direct debit every time you wish to make a payment and that payment on account requires a separate Direct Debit.

PAYE tax code: If you already pay tax through PAYE and owe less than £3,000 in total, HMRC can automatically take what you owe through your tax code. This will be taken from your salary or pension in equal instalments over 12 months. Note that you must have completed your paper tax return before the 31st October or your online tax return by 31st December to be eligible. If you meet all three requirements but do not wish to pay in this way, you should notify HMRC by ticking the relevant box on your tax return.

At the Post Office: This is only an option if you get paper statements from HMRC and have a paying-in slip which they sent you. You can pay a maximum of £10,000 by debit card, cash or cheque made payable to ‘Post Office Ltd’. If your bill is more than £10,000 you will have to use an alternative method of payment.

At your bank or building society: You can only pay your Income Tax bill at your bank or building society if you still get paper statements from HMRC and have the paying-in slip they sent to you in the post. Payments can be made by cash or cheque made payable to ‘HM Revenue and Customs only’ followed by your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), followed by the letter ‘K’.

Disclaimer: The content included on this page is based on our understanding of tax law at the time of publication. It may be subject to change and may not be applicable to your circumstances, so should not be relied upon. You are responsible for complying with tax law and should seek independent advice if you require further information about the content included on this page. If you don't have an accountant, take a look at our directory to find a FreeAgent Practice Partner based in your local area.

Try FreeAgent today

Simplify your bookkeeping and join over 150,000 freelancers and small businesses:

  • 30-day free trial - no credit card required.
  • Invoicing, expenses, cashflow, Self Assessment & more.
  • The all-in-one tool for your small business.
Start your 30-day free trial
Laptop devive showing the freeagent desktop UI, in front of which sits a mobile phone showing the mobile app.